Expungement and Sealing
Chicago Expungement and Sealing Attorney
Attorney Michael Levinsohn has been helping people expunge and seal their records in Illinois, Cook County, Lake County, and DuPage County for almost 20 years. If you are eligible to have your criminal history cleared, Attorney Levinsohn’s office will petition the court on your behalf to have it expunged or sealed. In addition, he will make sure that the entire record is cleared by the court, Chicago Police, any suburban police departments involved, and the Illinois State Police. Attorney Levinsohn will get you the fresh start that you need so you can pursue the job or license that you deserve.
Can I get my record expunged?
In Illinois, expunge means to physically destroy the records or return them to the petitioner and to obliterate the petitioner’s name from any official index or public record, or both. Court files are not required to be destroyed, but they can be impounded out of view of the public.
In Illinois and specifically in Cook County, Lake County, and DuPage County, a person may petition the court to expunge records of his or her arrest and charges when:
- He or she has never been convicted of a criminal offense and
- Each arrest or charge or arrest resulted in acquittal, dismissal, or release without charge (except as listed below), or the conviction was vacated or reversed (unless excluded), or the petitioner received a qualified probation or supervision that was completed successfully.
The following records can not be expunged or sealed in the case of supervision or conviction:
– Reckless driving, unless it was a misdemeanor and the person was under 25 years old and the person has no other DUI or reckless convictions.
– Minor traffic offenses unless the person was arrested and not charged.
– All sex crimes, except prostitution, all pornography crimes
– Violations of an order of protection
– Dog fighting
– Class A misdemeanors under the Humane Care for Animals Act
Sealing records in Illinois means to physically and electronically make the records unavailable without a court order subject to certain exceptions. The petitioner’s name shall also be removed from the official index kept by the clerk of court.
In Cook County, Lake County, and DuPage County, I can help you get the following Felonies Sealed:
- Weed and Marijuana Cases Sealed: Felony charges sealed if you received 1st time offender probation under Section 10 of the Cannabis Control Act
- Cocaine or Heroin Possession / PCS cases Sealed: Felony charges sealed if you received 1st time offender probation under Section 410 of the Controlled Substance Act.
- Meth cases Sealed: Felony charges sealed if you received 1st time offender probation under Section 70 of the Methamphetamine Control Act.
- Prostitution Cases Sealed: Felony charges sealed if you have a conviction for a Class 4 prostitution.
- Weed and Marijuana Cases Sealed:Felony charges sealed if you have a conviction for a Class 4 possession of cannabis.
- Cocaine or Heroin Possession / PCS cases SealedFelony charges sealed if you have a conviction for a Class 4 possession of a controlled substance.
- Retail Theft cases sealed: Felony charges sealed if you have conviction for a Class 3 or 4 theft or retail theft.
- Felony charges sealed if you have a conviction for a Class 3 or 4 deceptive practices or possession of burglary tools.
- Felony charges sealed if you have a conviction for a Class 3 forgery or possession with intent to deliver a controlled substance.
I can also help you seal misdemeanor convictions.
Please contact my office if you are interested in this service at 312 919-0200